Monday, November 8, 2010

Dreams

Of all the classical forms of art, music is, by nature, the most abstract. The characteristics of a piece of music have no tangible base or visible grounding in reality; the sound comes and goes like a breeze and after that all that's left are the wisps that you manage to catch in your memory. This inherently transcendent aspect of music is what allows certain pieces to move us, to instantly shift the way we're thinking, or to change our mood - the sound drifts through your ears and grab control of you before you even get the chance to object. For this reason, I've always thought that music does the best job at replicating the sensations and feelings of dreaming; because (if done correctly) music can echo the same abstract qualities of our subconscious. This first song is a perfect example.

This sounds exactly like what floating through a surrealistic dreamscape would feel like, and it comes at the hands of an unlikely source. Diplo has been on a creative rampage recently, churning out remix after remix and bringing his Mad Decent label around the world, but this is completely unprecedented. It's unlike anything I've ever heard by him. It's outstanding. The more I listen to it, the more I can't get enough of it. Check out the music video below.
Deerhunter - Helicopter (Diplo & Lunice Remix)



Deerhunter - Helicopter (Diplo & Lunice Remix) from Mad Decent on Vimeo.



A nice disco-tinged french house jam here. Very Fred Falke-esque

New Dada Life.. You guys already know how we feel about doing the Dada. We love it. Can't get enough of it. We do the Dada every day of our lives. This new Dada goes in a slightly different direction though, but I think they pull it off really well. 


Djedjotronic (try to say that out loud 5 times fast) has been wreaking havoc recently as a part of Boys Noize Records. Somebody played this one at HARD Haunted Mansion but I can't remember exactly who it was. All I know is that when I first heard this I was gripped by an insatiable urge to dance and I suspect that you will be too.
Gonzales - I Am Europe (Djedjotronic Remix)


Remixing Daft Punk is pretty much the most hubristic crime an artist can commit, but every once in a while a remix comes out that makes it excuseable. Keatch does a nice job here, keeping in tact enough of  the original while still layering on a new, harder-hitting edge.
Daft Punk - Rollin' and Scratchin' (Keatch Edit)


Russ Chimes' Midknight Club EP came out on Itunes and Beatport the other day, and I really hope that you go buy it. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the epic music video trilogy that comes with it should be enough for you to give Mr. Chimes the respect he deserves. Here's my favorite track from the EP, Targa (but, once again, you should go buy it, because this is a lowly 126kbps). We posted the music video trilogy a while back, but incase you missed it, there's a continuous version of it below. I highly recomend checking it out if you haven't already.
Russ Chimes - Targa



Russ Chimes - Midnight Club EP COMPLETE TRILOGY from Russ Chimes on Vimeo.


I heard this one a while ago and - I can't explain this - I didn't think it was very good. I put it on the shelf and sort of forgot about it. However, I saw it posted over on Vacay the other day and it prompted me to revisit it. I don't know what I was thinking; this one is bomb. Fukkk Offf channel the funk here with a deliciously stutter-stepping beat and attitude-packed vocals.
Fukkk Offf - Worldwide


Bonus..
New Deadmau5 (it's a radio rip, but this is the best quality version around)
Deadmau5 - Right This Moment


.Augustus

No comments:

Post a Comment